Women of Color Caucus
The Women of Color Caucus (WOCC) of the Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN) was established May 7, 1998. The WOCC was formed primarily to actively encourage and support the involvement and leadership of women of color in all agencies/programs affiliated with ODVN. All women of color are encouraged to participate in the Caucus.
The term Women of Color is a political statement because it represents women as oppressed classes who have claimed the power to name and define themselves and their experiences. The WOCC includes but is not limited to Native American, African, Hispanic, African-American, Haitian, Panamanian, Latinas, Asian American, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Indo-Chinese, Vietnamese, and Pakistanis. Women of Color reflect a diverse group of women.
Statement of Purpose:
We, the Women of Color Caucus of the Ohio Domestic Violence Network, recognize the isolation, frustration, anger, lack of representation, and invisibility felt by women of color in the domestic violence movement. These may be board members, staff, volunteers, or recipients of program services.
The WOCC knows that we must strengthen the bonds between us, and together in collective action, we will work toward the following goals:
- Serve as an advisory group to ODVN and its member agencies in matters of significance to the WOCC constituency
- Provide support and information to the WOCC constituencies who work within ODVN
- Encourage participation and involvement of all women of color affiliated with ODVN and its member agencies
- Represent and communicate the mission of the WOCC throughout ODVN by increased awareness and education
- Review and address the commitment and effectiveness of ODVN and its member agencies in meeting the needs of the diverse populations served.
Current Meetings & Caucus Updates:
The Women of Color Caucus will be meeting the following dates in 2013:
- Friday, March 1 Columbus Topic: Emerging Trends in DV and SV fields
- Tuesday, May 14 Columbus (this meeting will be at 6 pm and will be held immediately after the Two Days In May conference concludes) Topic: Addressing racism in DV & SV agencies
- Friday, August 2 Columbus/Mansfield (Central Ohio area) Topic: Leadership Training
- Friday, November 1 Central Ohio Topic: Starting your own agency and grant writing