Ohio Domestic Violence Network in the News!
- May 9, 2020 – Column: Stay-at-home orders drive up cases of domestic violence (The Columbus Dispatch)
- November 15, 2019 – Case Dismissed: Why domestic violence offenders often get away with it (ABC5)
- October 17, 2019 – Women reportedly killed by boyfriend remembered as kind, caring mother (ABC6)
- October 17, 2019 – Women killed by on-again-off-again boyfriend remembered by friends, family (NBC4i.com)
- October 14, 2019 – Advocates urge caution despite dip in domestic violence deaths (The Columbus Dispatch)
- October 7, 2019 – Report: 81 died last year during domestic violence attacks (WKSU 89.7fm)
- October 7, 2019 – Clarification: Domestic Violence-Ohio story (The Baltimore Sun)
- October 5, 2019 – Vigil held for teen domestic violence victim LaShonda Childs (Dayton 24/7 Now)
- October 5, 2019 – Report: 81 died in Ohio last year during domestic violence attacks (Dayton 24/7 Now)
- October 5, 2019 – Report: 81 died last year during domestic violence confrontations in Ohio (10tv.com)
- October 5, 2019 – Report: 81 died last year during domestic violence attacks (NB4i.com)
- October 2, 2019 – 81 people killed in Ohio in domestic violence cases last year (Dayton Daily News)
- October 1, 2019 – Advocates Praise Lawmakers for Providing Domestic Violence Funding (The Hannah Report)
- October 1, 2019 – Domestic Violence Group Touts Budget Funding (GONGWER Ohio)
- October 1, 2019 – Domestic-Violence Prevention: Celebrating Progress, Marking Lives Lost (Ohio News Service)
- October 2019 – Domestic Violence Awareness Month (QFM96)
- October 2019 – Domestic Violence Awareness Month (Sunny95)
- September 27, 2019 – Domestic violence cases underscore issues with Ohio ‘red flag’ gun control proposal (The Blade)
- October 20, 2018 – Group aims to change lives of battered women who are in prison (Dayton Daily News)
- October 16, 2018 – Three is no OK number of deaths (Star Beacon)
- October 16, 2018 – Fatal domestic violence numbers down, but…. (News Herald)
- October 10, 2018 – 91 Domestic Violence related fatalities in One Year (NBC4)
- October 11, 2018 – Ohio’s 91 Domestic-Violence deaths in year provide case for believing survivors, group says (The Columbus Dispatch)
- September 4, 2018 – What if it were your sister? Ohio State grad teaches men to stand against domestic violence (The Columbus Dispatch)
- August 3, 2018 – Victims of domestic violence often turn to friends first for help (The Columbus Dispatch)
- August 2, 2018 – Ohio State’s actions must match message in domestic violence, expert say (The Columbus Dispatch)
- August 2, 2018 – Domestic violence groups talk impact following Ohio State investigation (Fox28 News)
- October 7, 2015 – Lawmakers Propose Address Confidentiality for Violence Victims (10TV Columbus)
- October 7, 2015 – Lawmakers want to protect domestic violence, human trafficking survivor’s identities (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
- October 7, 2015 – Bill would shield info of violence victims (Port Clinton News Herald)
- October 7, 2015 – Charged dropped against Pickerington teacher who allegedly ran over husband during “domestic dispute” (NBC4)
- October 7, 2015 – Cleveland judge awarded for leadership to end domestic violence (WKYC3 Cleveland)
- October 6, 2015 – Woman accused of running over her husband during “domestic dispute” (NBC4)
Getting the Story Out
The media plays an important role in breaking the silence surrounding violence against women and ensuring that coverage accurately reflects the experience of survivors and the complex dynamics of domestic violence. The media helps educates the public about community resources and the steps they can take to address domestic violence.
ODVN recognizes that every minute counts when you are on a deadline In your coverage of domestic violence issues and incidents the expertise and resources of ODVN and its statewide network of 70 local domestic violence programs can help reduce legwork, ensure accuracy and get your story out quickly.
We will make every effort to assist you in:
- Obtaining comment from coalition leaders
- Finding local domestic violence programs and other local, state and national experts
- Offering background on state and federal domestic violence laws, pending legislation and the range of available services
- Identifying resources for people seeking domestic violence services
Ohio Domestic Violence Network Media Contact
Phone: 614-781-9651, Ext. 227
Email: [email protected]
Domestic violence (DV) is a deeply complex issue to explain, and the media play an important role in reporting its facts accurately to news consumers, especially at times of great family and community tragedy. The Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN) offers this media guide to assist reporters, copywriters, headline writers, editors, and producers and to support your coverage of this issue and its broad impact. In this media guide, you will find 10 Things to Know About DV; Pitfalls to Avoid; Suggestions for Broadening the Storyline; and Local, State, and National Resources.
Ohio Domestic Violence Fatality Reports
To view the Fatality Reports for the current and previous years, please click on the appropriate links below.
Ohio Domestic Violence Fatalities Summary (2018-2019)
Ohio Domestic Violence Fatalities Summary (2017-2018)
Ohio Domestic Violence Fatalities Summary (2016-2017)
Ohio Domestic Violence Fatalities Summary (2015-2016)
The Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN), a 501(c)(3) organization, is Ohio’s leading voice for domestic violence victims and their allies. ODVN was founded in 1988 to ensure the elimination of domestic violence and serves as a critical source for professional training, resources, public education, and policy advocacy to survivors, domestic violence agencies, the justice system, the health care system, governmental agencies, and other organizations.
Get in touch. Get involved.
1855 E Dublin-Granville Rd #301 Columbus, OH 43229