Domestic Violence and Law


PUBLIC BENEFITS (Deaf or Hard of Hearing)

Written by Tana Carpenter. Posted in Domestic Violence and Law


Ohio has a program, TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families) or OWF (Ohio Works First) that gives public benefits such as cash assistance, food stamps, day care vouchers, and medical coverage (insurance.) If you need cash benefits or food stamps, you will need go to job training and look for work. Ohio Works First (OWF) will ask father of your children provide money for child support to you. OWF rules must be followed to keep OWF public benefits.

Family Violence Option Waivers: Sometimes it can be hard to follow OWF rules to keep your benefits if someone is hurting or stalking you. OWF workers can help you with hardship program so you do not lose OWF benefits. Ask your local domestic and sexual violence advocate to help. OWF may take other actions when you apply for the waiver which may not be what you want. Talk to your local domestic violence program to find out. For more information, go to: