Ohio Domestic Violence Movement
- Ask what people need and make accommodations as comfortable as possible.
- Remember that communities maybe small so confidentiality is very important.
- Acknowledge that people with disabilities or varying abilities are capable people.
- If your facilities are ADA accessible, promote accessibility on program materials.
- Create programs, shelters, and organizations that are fully accessible.
- Know that trauma may manifest differently for people with disabilities.
- Know that a person's disability or varying ability does not define them.
- Affirm that people with disabilities or varying abilities are diverse.
- Become more familiar with entitlements and disability benefits.
- Hire & promote people who have disabilities or varying abilities.
- Learn basic American Sign Language (ASL).
- Learn how to assess & discuss traumatic brain injury.
- Be aware & maintain respectful personal space when communicating.
- Have your facilities evaluated for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance.
- Avoid outdated terms like "handicapped" & brush up on appropriate terminology.
- Do cross training between domestic violence programs and disability organizations.
- Develop positive working relationships with Deaf organizations in your area.
- Acknowledge & learn about hidden disabilities like epilepsy or HIV/AIDS.
- Look for ways to make cost efficient changes & updates for accessible facilities.
- Remember that people with disabilities are capable people, don't make decisions for them.
- Remember that people with disabilities or varying abilities are experts in their own lives.
- Know that people with disabilities or varying abilities may be less likely to report abuse.
- Know that people with mental health issues may not identify with having a disability.
- Maintain a current list of ASL and other sign language interpreters for your community.
- Increase your etiquette, knowledge of & interactions with people with disabilities.
Click the picture below for a printable list
9/15: 25 Ways to Support Teens
9/16: 25 ODVN Resources
9/17: 25 Policy Wins
9/18: 25 Favorite Trainings
9/24: 25 Ways to Do Self Care