Mission and Philosophy
Mission and Philosophy
The Ohio Domestic Violence Network advances the principles that all people have the right to an oppression and violence free life; fosters changes in our economic, social and political systems; and brings leadership, expertise and best practices to community programs.
Ohio Domestic Violence Network's Purpose, Philosophy, and Structure:
The Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN) believes that ending violence against women and children requires connection with organizations and individuals to create a clear vision and collective voice for social and systemic change. ODVN's purpose is to support and strengthen Ohio's response to domestic violence through training, public awareness and technical assistance and to promote social change through the implementation of public policy.
ODVN maintains a commitment to the empowerment of battered women and children as well as to the elimination of personal, institutional and cultural violence. Membership is open to any organization or individual that supports the ODVN mission. ODVN invites the participation of diverse constituencies.
ODVN's structure reflects its philosophy and commitment to collective decision-making and egalitarian relations. ODVN operates as a membership organization and is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors meets quarterly and consists of 18 people who are representatives from active member domestic violence organizations, community members and survivors of domestic violence. The Board of Directors represents all geographic areas of the State of Ohio, including urban and rural areas, and represents various underserved groups.
ODVN's membership reflects the diversity of Ohio's domestic violence programs, allied professionals, and concerned individuals who are from every region of Ohio representing both the rural and urban areas. Most domestic violence member programs have over a ten-year history in working with survivors of domestic violence. ODVN works collaboratively with other statewide agencies, programs and coalitions.
The Ohio Domestic Violence Network is an active and long-standing member of both the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence and the National Network to End Domestic Violence Network.
- We promote safety, well being, and justice for all battered persons while respecting the adult survivor's right to self-direction and control over their own lives.
- We are accountable to those who are or were battered and are committed to listening to their voices and using their expertise to guide our work.
- We declare that batterers, not victims, are accountable for their abusive behavior.
- We are committed to facilitating changes necessary to end oppression and violence within ourselves, and within economic, social, and political systems.
- We are committed to advancing the community's responsibility for stopping the violence.