HOW TO FIND AN ATTORNEY (Deaf or Hard of Hearing)

Written by Tana Carpenter. Posted in Domestic Violence and Law

Legal Aid– If you meet certain income and other requirements, you may be eligible to get a Legal Aid attorney. To find the legal aid office and contact information for your county, you can call 866-529-6446.

ODVN Legal Assistance Project– If your case is not accepted for Legal Aid lawyer, you may be able to get a lawyer through Civil Legal Assistance Program at ODVN.  Call a local advocate to get more information.  If you can't find an advocate, call ODVN at 800-934-9840 or (614)-781-9651 (v/tty).

Local Bar Associations– Some local bar associations have projects which offer attorneys on a pro bono, or free, basis. To find the bar association in your county, go to

Law School Clinics– If a college with law school is near your home, you may be able to get legal help from their legal clinic: in Cleveland (Employment Issues), Cleveland State University - (216) 687-3947;  Milton Kramer Law Clinic Center at Case Western University - (216) 368-2766; Cleveland Homeless Assistance Legal Assistance Program - (216) 432-0543; in Columbus at the Capital University Law Clinic (614) 236-6245, and in Cincinnati at the Protection Order clinic at the University of Cincinnati Law School (513) 241-9400.

Crime Victims Compensation– The Ohio Crime Victims Compensation Program can offer funds for legal services such as protection orders. You must be a victim of crime to get help from CVC.  For more information, see Picking Up the Pieces, which you can access at

Filing Pro Se– Pro se means filing a legal action without a lawyer. It is always better to take legal action with lawyer's help.  If you decide to file your case without a lawyer, a legal advocate may be able to help you. Some Clerks of Court can help, too. For more information on court rules and forms, go to or



Find Us On Facebook