Información Legal (Spanish)



Written by Tana Carpenter. Posted in Domestic Violence and Law

It is very IMPORTANT that you have a lawyer in any legal action involving child custody. You can ask for child custody, child support, and visitation rights in front of magistrate or judge in the courthouse. You can get orders for child custody, visitation, and child support by:

  • Civil Protection Order (CPO)
  • Divorce
  • Legal Separation
  • Action in Juvenile Court (13 to 17 years old)

If you and your partner are not married, you go to Juvenile court so they can help protect your children’s rights.

Visitation: There may be supervised visitation if the court thinks your child is not safe during visits. The court may order someone to watch either one of you during supervised visits with your children.

If you want custody or visitation orders changed, you must file a motion with proof of:

  • Any medical reports or photographs of injuries
  • Health issues of your children under other parent's care
  • Any reports from counselors, teachers, etc.

Child Support: If the other parent does not pay court ordered child support, ask your lawyer for help.

Custody/visitation orders can be changed if there are problems with either you or your partner’s actions in following the court orders. You can get more information on child custody and child support enforcement at or