Domestic Violence and Law



Written by Tana Carpenter. Posted in Domestic Violence and Law

Ohio’s program, called TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), also called OWF (Ohio Works First) is based on need. Cash assistance, food stamps, day care vouchers and medical coverage are available. If you seek cash benefits and/or food stamps, you will be required to complete certain program requirements, such as job training and employment seeking. OWF will also seek money from the other parent of your children. If you are in a relationship with someone who is physically or sexually abusing you or stalking you, you may be able to request an exemption from these program requirements. These waivers are also called Family Violence Option  Waivers. There is a three year life-time limit for cash benefits; however, there are hardship exemptions available. In rare instances, OWF may take other actions when persons apply for the waiver which may be undesirable. Talk to your local domestic violence program to find out how waivers are typically handled. For more information go to .